(2023-10-06, Boston, MA, Special to the U.S. Times) Ahead of IBC 2023 in Amsterdam, Blackmagic Design announced a new lineup of advanced camera hardware, all unveiled during a livestream hosted on their YouTube channel.
Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus G2
One of the headlining products is the Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus G2, an updated model of their Studio 4K, designed for live production. 4K Plus G2 promises to deliver the features of a large studio camera within a compact and portable design, as well as boasting an array of new features that improve upon its predecessor.
Key new features include:
- Native 4K sensor with 13 stops of dynamic range.
- Two-way 12G-SDI connectivity for integration with SDI-based switchers, such as Blackmagic’s ATEM Constellation. Also includes HDMI connectivity.
- High-speed USB-C expansion port for recording to external disks, network control, and accessories.
- 7″ touchscreen viewfinder.
- Compatible with popular EF or MFT lens mounts.
- Includes built-in talkback with support for 3.5mm headsets.
- Equipped with a high-quality sensor with an ISO of up to 25,600 for enhanced performance in low-light conditions.
The Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus G2 is now available from global Blackmagic Design resellers at an MSRP of $1,345 USD.
Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K G2
Also announced during the launch event was the Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K G2. Despite its smaller form factor, it offers many of the same improvements and set of features as the 4K Plus G2, including the two-way 12G-SDI connectivity, MFT lens mount, 4K sensor, and USB-C expansion port. Complimenting its compact body imbued with a magnesium alloy core, the Micro Studio Camera supports a variety of power options, including a common 12V DC locking power connector, standard LP-E6 battery, and large capacity V-Lock batteries with the use of an adapter.
Priced at $995 USD, the Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 is set to be released in October.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K
Arguably the event’s most anticipated announcement is the new Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6k, a high-end digital camera boasting a full-frame 6K image sensor, capable of displaying an incredibly high native resolution of 6048 x 4032. Its unparalleled image quality is one of many of its highly impressive features.
Key new features include:
- Full-frame 24 x 36mm 6K sensor with 13 stops of dynamic range with dual native ISO up to 25,600.
- Utilizes an L-Mount for compatibility with a wide range of still photography and cinema lenses from manufacturers such as Leica, Panasonic, and Sigma.
- Supports frame rates from 36 fps at full sensor resolution to 120 fps when windowed.
- Equipped with a built-in CFexpress card recorder, capable of recording full-resolution 12-bit Blackmagic RAW files.
- Features a large 5-inch HDR touchscreen.
- Supports an optional viewfinder for outdoor and handheld shooting, featuring an integrated high quality 1280 x 960 color OLED display.
- Uses high-capacity NP-F570 batteries for portability, also equipped with a locking DC power connector to prevent power loss during shooting. AC plug pack is included.
- Optional battery grip available for extended shooting.
The Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K is available now for $2,595 USD.
Blackmagic Camera iPhone App
Finally, as part of their digital camera suite, Blackmagic unveiled the Blackmagic Camera app for iOS, tossing their hat into the market of mobile filmmaking alongside veterans such as Filmic Pro and Protake. Built upon the same OS used for Blackmagic’s long line of digital film cameras, the Blackmagic Camera app promises to deliver professional camera controls, in addition to the toolsets used in feature films, television shows, and documentaries to the iPhone.
Key features include:
- Support for 16:9 and vertical aspect ratios, with the option to shoot 16:9 vertically.
- Capture footage in Apple ProRes, HEVC and H.264 with auto proxy generation.
- Records directly to Blackmagic Cloud.
- HUD includes controls for lens selection, frame rate, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, tint, histogram, and audio levels.
- Includes professional monitoring tools like zebra settings, focus assist, frame guides, and 3D LUTs.
- Touch-based configurations for exposure and audio levels.
- Built-in chat allows users to communicate without leaving the app.
- Media tab offers controls for browsing, scrubbing, searching, sorting, and uploading clips to Blackmagic Cloud, as well as syncing media directly to DaVinci Resolve.
The Blackmagic Camera app is available to download on the Apple App Store for free.